Saturday, November 18, 2006

Tegan Wagner .... can I please take you out for coffee?

Tegan Wagner, can I please take you out for coffee?


Dear Ms Tegan Wagner,

I was wondering if I could please take you out for coffee when I am in Australia at Christmas? Maybe we could meet for cappuccino at the Portobello CafĂ© near Circular Quay and enjoy views of both the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House …. or we take the ferry over to Manly and attempt to find the most exotic flavour of ice-cream offered on The Corso .... we could go for fish and chips at Doyle’s Restaurant at Watson’s Bay – as long as we can keep the seagulls from sharing our food …. just for fun we could conduct our own subjective research on the zoos of Sydney!

The reason I would like to meet you face to face is to let you know that I think you are a heroine!

What a difference it would have made in my children’s and my life if I had had the confidence to stand up for myself and speak my truth sooner.

You may never know what difference you have made in other girls’ and women’s lives, but I want you to know your actions have made a difference for me!

So yes, this is a sincere invitation to take you out to celebrate your courage and contribution, but if it never comes to pass, please know that I admire you greatly and wish you many future blessings.

Sincerely,
Merinda.


You can learn more about Tegan's incredible strength of character in Paul Sheehan's book "Girls Like You: Four young girls, six brothers and a cultural timebomb" Pan Macmillan Australia, 2006.

No comments: