Wednesday, November 22, 2006

"Mummy, when I grow up I want to be a ..."

Mummy, when I grow up I want to be a …


One night when we had just got through the tuck me in –read to me – kiss me goodnight- sing to me routine one of my children said to me “Mummy, when I grow up I want to be a lawyer!”

Well, at that stage in my life, based on what I had experienced, having one of my children say they wanted to be a lawyer was about on par with having them say they wanted to be an illegal drug trafficker or a politician.

But I could see my child was being sincere and that this was really important to them, so I gave them my full attention and responded “Oh that sounds interesting dear, tell me more about that”.

“I want to be a lawyer when I grow up so that I can make sure other children won’t have to go through what we’ve gone through” was their serious reply.

What parent couldn’t support and encourage that?

Take care …. take heart … take time to encourage your child … Merinda.


No comments: