Monday, November 13, 2006

Miracle on 34th Street ... my wish for a Christmas miracle.

Greetings,

My children and I had often enjoyed watching the touching Christmas story with a happy ending "Miracle on 34th Street", ( both the 1947 version starring Maureen O'Hara, John Payne and Natalie Wood and the 1995 version starring Richard Attenborough, Elizabeth Perkins, Dylan McDermott and Mara Wilson) ... what I wish is that we could experience a Christmas "miracle'"with a happy ending of our own. My family; my children, my parents, my siblings and their partners and children have never been allowed or able to have a family Christmas together.

Earlier this year the media, advocacy groups and politicians persuaded the government that it had a responsibility to ensure that Robert Jovicic not suffer any more and be returned to Australia at taxpayer expense, and while that was being organised and negotiated he would receive an allowance and accommodation ... at taxpayer expense ... not withstanding the fact that he had already received many years of accommodation and rehabilitative resources while in jail ... at taxpayers expense. What would it take for this to be the year that innocent and vulnerable Australian children and women received at least as much assistance as people with 158 criminal convictions who have made a choice to engage in criminal activity, who have made a choice not to become an Australian citizen? None of the the Australian children and women overseas who have been traumatised by their experience of abuse by their spouse/father and abuse by justice systems that ignore or reward violence against children and women that I am in contact with have committed any crimes, they don't have any criminal convictions - they are not paedophiles or drug traffickers or Al-Qaeda trainees or arms smugglers. Earlier this year the government chose as its priority Robert Jovicic, and it didn't take years to respond to him but I have been begging for assistance for our family since 1999!

If the government can mobilise resources and ensure the safe evacuation of thousands of citizens living in Lebanon then surely Australian children and women living in countries without the logistical challenges of intermittent bombing can reasonably expect assistance. I used to think it was something about me ... but I keep meeting or hearing of other women in similar traumatic circumstances and realise that it is not about me it is about how children and women are valued.

I am totally confused. I have shared so much information with so many people .... if anyone can help me understand what it takes to get our government to care about children and women I would really appreciate receiving your ideas and suggestions, for my children's and my sake as well as for all the other Australian children and women who are experiencing a similar traumatic situation.

Our prime minister, Mr John Howard, chose to provide Robert Jovicic with a gift at taxpayers expense earlier this year ... how about a gift for Australian children and women trapped overseas, not by their own criminal activities but by others criminal activities, for Christmas?

Take care .... take heart .... Merinda

No comments: