Sunday, November 12, 2006

If a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear? ..... If a woman is abused by her partner does anybody care?

There are many inconsistencies and paradoxes that I have experienced over the years that I have been unsuccessfully attempting to make a difference for children and women who experience violence in the home. It is well documented that leaving a situation of domestic abuse is a very dangerous time for women. Society ridicules and derides women who stay in abusive relationships and yet when they do leave and speak up about the violent reality of their partner relationship they are then accused of fabricating the abuse.

From what I have gleaned from the local media in the Canadian province I am in at the moment you are much more likely to be held accountable by the police and the justice system for abuse to animals/livestock than you are for abuse to your wife or female partner!

If my former spouse had treated a cow or a pig the way he treated me he would have been prosecuted for cruelty to animals ... but I experienced a judge telling me that he didn't care about the abuse, he didn't want to hear about the abuse - that was in the past!

No comments: